NOCTURNAL ANIMALS PRESCHOOL ACTIVITY PACK
This nocturnal animal activity pack is perfect for your preschool & pre-k littles. It’s filled with 16 literacy & math printables plus 4 hands-on project ideas for a total of 20 amazing activities!
These activities, which can be used in your homeschool preschool or your early childhood classroom, are designed to help your little ones build beginning literacy & math skills that will prepare them for success in kindergarten and beyond!
Get the Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs and save over 20% (which means you get 4 packs for FREE!)
All activities come in both full color and black/white options. I’ve also included directions for 3 levels of learners: Voyagers, Explorers, and Inventors. That way, you can find the best way to use these activities depending on your little one’s level.
8 LITERACY ACTIVITIES:
1. Nocturnal Animals Vocabulary Words: Includes 15 nocturnal animal word cards. Each word comes in 2 fonts: traceable font and solid font. Also includes 3 activity pages for students to write these words if you choose to do a “Write the Room” activity with them and 1 page of pictures for them to “Color the Room.”
2. Nocturnal vs. Diurnal Animal Sort: Have your little one sort the animal cards & discuss the differences between nocturnal & diurnal animals. Includes 20 animals.
3. Nocturnal Animal Letter Puzzles: Your little one will put the puzzles together by putting the letters in ABC order. Includes 5 puzzles covering letters A-Z (uppercase font).
4. Spider Web Syllables: Sort the spiders onto the correct webs based on the number of syllables (1, 2, 3, or 4). Includes 24 spiders to sort (6 for each web).
5. Life Cycles: Spiders & Bats: Includes picture & word cards for the life cycle of a spider and the life cycle of a bat.
6. Color by Code: Lowercase Letters: There are 4 color by code pictures of nocturnal animals. You can either print them with the color words in color (for younger preschoolers) or the color words in black (for older preschoolers working on reading color words).
7. I Can Find the Animals: This fun seek and find picture activity includes 2 levels: For younger preschoolers, they can find the animals and mark them off. For older preschoolers, they can find the animals, mark them off, identify the beginning letter of the animal’s name, and draw a line from that letter to the animal. (*Not pictured: I’ve also included a mat with the letters “OW” for “owl” since the word “owl” begins with a diphthong and not short vowel o.)
8. Letter Sounds at Night: This activity will give your little one a chance to practice letter sounds. They will put the puzzles together to match the correct picture to the correct letter.
8 MATH ACTIVITIES:
1. 2D Bat Shapes: Your little one will fly the shape bat to the correct shape cave. Shapes covered include: circle, octagon, crescent, oval, diamond, heart, parallelogram, hexagon, pentagon, rectangle, semicircle, square, star, trapezoid, and triangle.
2. Owl Sliders: This fun activity gives your little one a chance to practice one-to-one correspondence. Say the poem together, then have them add the correct number of owls to the tree by sliding the slider so it reveals one number in the square. Slider strips include numbers 1-10, 11-20, addition, and subtraction.
3. Cheesy Number Bonds: Your little one will practice making number bonds with this activity. Includes mats to make number 5 and number 10 plus cheese numbers 1-10.
4. Play Dough Numbers: These play dough mats come in numbers 1-10, and each number has the ten frame at the top to show the number using nocturnal animals.
5. Move Like a Nocturnal Animal: This gross motor game combines subitizing and tally marks with animal movements! It’s so much fun!
6. Night Sky Number Sorting: This activity includes mats for numbers 1-10. Each number includes 3 cards to show that number in stars, tally marks, and fingers.
7. Bat Position Words: Create a cave by taping the cave picture to a box and have your little one place the bat in the correct spot based on the card. Practices position words above, below, in front of, behind, left, right, on top, underneath, and inside.
8. Food for the Racoon: Help the racoon store food in its cave by counting out the correct number of apples and acorns. Includes 15 cards and lots of apples & acorns!
4 HANDS-ON ACTIVITY IDEAS (no printables, just directions):
1. Nocturnal Animals Sensory Bin: Such a fun (and easy) sensory bin that would be perfect for this unit!
2. Bat Craft: All you need is one toilet paper roll, some paint, and googly eyes, and you’ve created your very own nocturnal animal!
3. Spider Oreos: Yumm! This snack would be great to pair with any book about nocturnal animals.
4. Spider Ice Cubes: Add some water play to your unit with these creepy crawly ice cubes!
Please see the pictures in the preview above before purchasing!
Looking for MORE Thematic Activity Packs? I’ve got you covered!
- All About Me
- Community Helpers
- Way Out in Space
- Nocturnal Animals
- Fairy Tale Fun
- Under Construction
- A Day at the Zoo
- Things That Go
- Polar Habitats
- Nursery Rhymes
- Way Out West
- Dynamite Dinos
- What’s the Weather?
- Busy Bugs & Insects
- Extraordinary Earth
- Gardens That Grow
- Under the Sea
- Vets Love Pets
Or save time and money by choosing my Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs! You’ll save over 20%, which means you get 4 packs for FREE!
REMINDER: This product is a digital download. Nothing will be shipped. As this product is digital, all sales are final & no refunds will be issued. If you have any questions about this pack, feel free to contact me before purchasing: [email protected].
Erin | Littles Love Learning
- You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and already installed on most computers. Please make sure you have the capability to open this download before purchasing.
- To print, please save this download to your desktop, open with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then print. Do not print from your web browser.
- Make sure your Adobe Acrobat Reader is updated to the latest version.