VETS LOVE PETS PRESCHOOL ACTIVITY PACK
This pet-themed activity pack is perfect for your preschool & pre-k littles who LOVE learning about pets! It’s filled with 16 literacy & math printables plus 4 hands-on project ideas for a total of 20 amazing activities!
Get the Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs and save over 20% (which means you get 4 packs for FREE!)
These activities, which can be used in your homeschool preschool or your early childhood classroom, are designed to help your little ones build beginning literacy & math skills that will prepare them for success in kindergarten and beyond!
All activities come in both full color and black/white options. I’ve also included directions for 3 levels of learners: Voyagers, Explorers, and Inventors. That way, you can find the best way to use these activities depending on your little one’s level.
8 LITERACY ACTIVITIES:
1. Pet Vocabulary Words: Includes 15 pet-themed word cards. Each word comes in 2 fonts: traceable font and solid font. Also includes 3 activity pages for students to write these words if you choose to do a “Write the Room” activity with them and 1 page of pictures for them to “Color the Room.”
2. Pet Alphabet Match: Your little one will work on matching uppercase and lowercase letters by putting the pictures together. They’ll love the fun and colorful pictures of different pets!
3. Vet Appointment Vowel Sounds: This board game is the perfect way to practice hearing vowel sounds in the middle of words, which is called phonemic awareness. Your little one will choose a card, name the picture, and then determine which vowel sound they hear in the middle of the word. They’ll move their game piece to that letter on the board and then choose another card. Includes 48 picture cards and 2 games boards: Game Board 1 reviews short vowels a & e. Game Board 2 reviews short vowels i, o, & u.
4. Same or Different Beginning Sounds: This activity helps your little one determine if two words begin with the same sound or not, which is an important step in learning to read. They’ll choose two cards and place them on the mat. Then they’ll identify the beginning sound of each word and determine if they’re the same or not. Then they’ll circle the correct answer and make a tally mark to keep track of their data. See which group wins by the end of the game! Includes 48 picture cards.
5. Pet Syllable Bingo: You’ll be using the vocabulary cards from this pack to play bingo, which is always an engaging game for kids! Choose a vocabulary card, name the word, and count out the number of syllables in that word. Then cover up that number on your bingo board. The first one with 5 in a row wins!
6. Wet Dog Rhyme Maze: Build your child’s rhyming skills with this maze game! Your child will start by reading the word “wet,” and then they’ll find the rhyming word that’s touching that box (“vet.”) They’ll continue on in this manner (finding rhyming words) until they get the dog to the box with his dinner. Rhyming is an important phonological awareness skill that is fun to practice in preschool!
7. Fish Food CVC Words: This activity builds your child’s beginning reading skills. Have them spin the spinners to create a word on their mat. Then have them say the sounds and blend those sounds into a word. This activity combines phonemic awareness with letter knowledge and will strengthen your child’s phonics skills.
8. Doghouse Tracing: Don’t forget about the importance of fine motor skills! Your child will help the dogs get to their doghouses by tracing the different lines. Includes 10 tracing cards, each with a different type of line.
8 MATH ACTIVITIES:
1. Roll a Fishbowl: Your little one will use their math skills to build a fishbowl for their pet fish! Have them roll the dice, determine which picture corresponds to that number, and place that picture card on the mat. This is great to help your child work on subitizing, which is the ability to recognize a group of objects (or dots on a dice) without having to individually count each one.
2. Fido’s Bones & Fluffy’s Carrots: Your child will love working on their beginning addition skills by feeding Fido his bones (addition to 5) or Fluffy her carrots (addition to 10). Have them choose a card, place it on the mat, count the dots, and write the numbers in the math problem. Then they can add the correct numbers of bones or carrots to the mat. Includes 10 addition to 5 cards (plus 5 bones) and 6 addition to 10 cards (plus 10 carrots).
3. Pet Hide & Seek: Your little one will work on counting to 5 or 10 with this game. They’ll choose an animal card, identify the number, and find that many of that animal in the picture (they can cover them up with legos, small blocks, or small balls of play dough). If that is too easy, they can try choosing an addition card to increase the level of difficulty. Includes 2 mats, 10 number cards, and 10 addition cards.
4. How Long is Sally Snake?: This is one of my favorites! Your child will move the slider so only one number is showing in the box (ex: 4). Then they’ll use play dough to make Sally Snake’s body that long. Includes one slider with numbers 0-9, two sliders with addition problems, and one slider with subtraction problems.
5. Scoop the Dog Food: This counting activity doubles as a sensory activity! Your little one will choose a card and scoop that many scoops of “dog food” (ex: black beans or Cocoa Puffs cereal) into the dog food bowl. Includes 12 cards and 1 dog food bowl printable.
6. Pampered Pets Puzzle: This activity will help your child understand that we can show numbers in different ways (ex: tally marks, fingers, pictures, numerals, etc.) They’ll choose a colorful picture card and place it on the matching tally mark mat or finger mat. Once they’re done, they’ll have completed the puzzle and can see the adorable pets enjoying a day in the sun!
7. Pet Friends 2D Shapes: Your little one will practice identifying 2D shapes with this game. They’ll choose a card, name the 2D shape on the pet, and cover up that shape on their card. Reviews 12 shapes: rectangle, circle, square, heart, crescent moon, oval, triangle, rhombus, hexagon, octagon, pentagon, & trapezoid.
8. Spin a Fish Pattern: Here’s a unique way to practice patterns! Your child will choose a card and identify how many different colored fish they need to complete the pattern (ex: if they choose an AB card, they need 2 different colored fish; if they choose an ABC pattern, they need 3 different colored fish). Then have them spin the spinner to determine which colors they’ll be using the complete their pattern. Once they’ve spun, have them create that pattern on the mat using the colored fish. Includes 12 different pattern cards.
4 HANDS-ON ACTIVITY IDEAS (no printables, just directions):
1. Make a Pet Collar: This is a simple but fun activity that works on fine motor skills.
2. Dog Food Sensory Bin: Quick and easy sensory bin idea that will inspire SO much imaginary play!
3. Pawprint Play Dough: Black and white play dough makes the best pawprints!
4. Dalmatian Pudding: The most delicious snack inspired by my favorite dog breed, Dalmatians!
Please see the pictures in the preview above before purchasing!
Looking for MORE Thematic Activity Packs? I’ve got you covered!
- All About Me
- Community Helpers
- Way Out in Space
- Nocturnal Animals
- Fairy Tale Fun
- Under Construction
- A Day at the Zoo
- Things That Go
- Polar Habitats
- Nursery Rhymes
- Way Out West
- Dynamite Dinos
- What’s the Weather?
- Busy Bugs & Insects
- Extraordinary Earth
- Gardens That Grow
- Under the Sea
- Vets Love Pets
Or save time and money by choosing my Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs! You’ll save over 20%, which means you get 4 packs for FREE!
REMINDER: This product is a digital download. Nothing will be shipped. As this product is digital, all sales are final & no refunds will be issued. If you have any questions about this pack, feel free to contact me before purchasing: [email protected].
Erin | Littles Love Learning
- You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and already installed on most computers. Please make sure you have the capability to open this download before purchasing.
- To print, please save this download to your desktop, open with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then print. Do not print from your web browser.
- Make sure your Adobe Acrobat Reader is updated to the latest version.