Keep reading for some fun Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities for preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten. These activities are sure to be a hit with your littles! And if you want a FREE printable version of these activities & directions, click HERE!
We are a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post contains affiliate links. Click HERE to read our full disclosure.
Our March story of the month is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. & John Archambault. This classic book is great for helping your little one practice identifying letter names and sounds.
“A told B and B told C…I’ll meet you at the top of the coconut tree!” Those words begins the most-fun adventure of all the letters of the alphabet going up the coconut tree…only to tumble down once the tree gets too full! Good thing their moms & dads are there to help them out of the mess. But will the letters learn their lesson, or will they try to go back up the tree?
Check out these fun Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities for preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten that you can do after reading this story. Ideas include a snack, a craft, and a FREE name & letter activity!
Adding these activities into your plans (at home or in the classroom!) will be sure to entertain your preschoolers while helping them learn important academic skills.
CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM SNACK
Adding snacks to stories really brings reading to life for your little one! One of our favorite Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities is making a snack that looks like the coconut tree (inspired by Pre-K Pages). Let your little ones help you make this healthy snack, and watch them have fun acting out the story with their food!
- ABC Cookies from Trader Joe’s
- Peel the banana and place it on a plate. You can also slice it lengthwise, but keep the same shape.
- Slice the apple and use six slices as the branches of the tree.
- Place blueberries on top of the apples as the coconuts.
- Have your little one choose letter cookies to place around the tree. They could spell out their name, simple words, or just choose their favorite letters!
CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM CRAFT
The more hands-on learning activities we can do with letters names and sounds, the better our preschoolers and kindergarteners will remember them. This is one of the easiest Chicka Chicka Boom Boom activities, but it’s super fun and can be differentiated to challenge your students, no matter their level. This one was inspired by Life, Crafting, & Mom Life.
- Toilet paper roll (or paper towel roll for a taller tree)
- Green paper (or white paper that your little one colors green)
- Brown paper (or white paper that your little one colors brown)
- Letter stickers (we like these, but any letter stickers will work)
- Markers, scissors, & glue
- Cut tree leaves out of the green paper.
- Cut coconuts out of the brown paper. Glue them onto the green leaves.
- Cut a slit in the leaves and slide them onto the toilet paper roll.
- Then have your little one place letter stickers on the toilet paper roll to make their own Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree!
Ways to Differentiate Based on Your Students’ Levels:
- Have your students place any letter stickers they’d like on the tree. (Pulling stickers off sticker sheets is great fine motor practice, too!)
- Have your students spell their name or simple CVC words with the letter stickers.
- Write letters on the tree with a marker and have your students place that same letter sticker over the letter. (Use uppercase or lowercase letters only, or do a mix of both).
- Have your students write/draw words on the coconuts. When my daughter was in kindergarten, she decided to write/draw one word for each vowel on the coconuts. But you could do a few of their favorite letters or each letter in their name!
CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM NAME ACTIVITY
Want to keep the fun going?! You can download and print this FREE activity for your students. It’s a great way to have them practice the letters in their name!
First, have students find the letters that are in their name. They can mark them off with a dot marker, crayon, sticker, or regular marker.
Then they’ll make the letters in their name and glue them onto the coconut tree! (There’s a version using male pronouns and a version using female pronouns). Will there be enough room for them all?!
This activity (along with all of our freebies!) can be downloaded from the Free Activity Library. If you’re already a member of our email community, you can click HERE to head to the Free Activity Library, enter your password (it’s on your most current email from me), and download your copy!
If you’d like to join our email community & receive the password as my way of saying THANK YOU for joining, you can click HERE to subscribe. Once you enter your information, the password will be emailed to you within minutes.
Have you read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom? What’s your favorite preschool or kindergarten activity to do with this fun book? Comment below or find me on Instagram (@littleslovelearningblog) and let me know!