BUSY BUGS & INSECTS PRESCHOOL ACTIVITY PACK
This bug-themed activity pack is perfect for your preschool & pre-k littles who LOVE bugs & insects! It’s filled with 16 literacy & math printables plus 4 hands-on project ideas for a total of 20 amazing activities!
Get the Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs and save over 20% (which means you get 4 packs for FREE!)
These activities, which can be used in your homeschool preschool or your early childhood classroom, are designed to help your little ones build beginning literacy & math skills that will prepare them for success in kindergarten and beyond!
All activities come in both full color and black/white options. I’ve also included directions for 3 levels of learners: Voyagers, Explorers, and Inventors. That way, you can find the best way to use these activities depending on your little one’s level.
8 LITERACY ACTIVITIES:
1. Bugs & Insects Vocabulary Words: Includes 15 bug & insect-themed word cards. Each word comes in 2 fonts: traceable font and solid font. Also includes 3 activity pages for students to write these words if you choose to do a “Write the Room” activity with them and 1 page of pictures for them to “Color the Room.”
2. Compound Word Sort: Have your little one sort the vocabulary word cards into “Compound Words” and “Not Compound Words.” This is a great activity to help develop your little one’s phonological awareness skills, which are necessary for learning to read.
3. Word Family Beginning Sounds: This is a great activity to work on word families and rhyming! Your little one will choose a card and read the word family. Then they’ll identify one of the pictures, say the beginning sound, and place that letter in the box. Repeat with the other 2 pictures on the card, and your little one will be able to read 3 rhyming words! Includes 12 word family cards (ax, ar, ad, en, ed, ib, id, im, ob, to, ub, ud)
4. The Life Cycle of a Bee Flip Book: Have your little one create their very own flip book showing the life cycle of a bee. Great for working on sequencing as well as fine motor skills.
5. Caterpillar Crawl Board Game: This game is a blast! You’ll take turns spinning the spinner, moving forward or backward, and saying the name/sound of each letter you land on. The first one who gets from the caterpillar to the butterfly wins!
6. I Spy Syllables: Get ready to examine picture cards with your magnifying glass! Say each picture’s name, clap out the syllables, and match that picture to the correct magnifying glass. Reviews 1, 2, and 3 syllable words. Includes 15 picture cards.
7. Bee Letters & Numbers: This activity comes with all uppercase letters, lowercase letters, and numbers 1-20 on the cutest bees. You can use these cards for games like Memory or Go Fish, letter matching, or writing these letters or numbers in a sand tray. So many possibilities!
8. Life Cycle Play Dough Mats: Learn about the life cycle of a butterfly and a ladybug with these play dough mats!
8 MATH ACTIVITIES:
1. Caterpillar Patterns: Your little one will choose a card, identify the pattern, and recreate the pattern on the caterpillar! Includes 12 pattern cards reviewing patterns AB, AAB, ABB, ABC, AABB, & ABCD.
2. Butterfly Ten Frame: Work on counting numbers 1-10 with this fun activity! Your little one will choose a card, count the butterflies, and show that number in the ten frame.
3. Fly Swatter 2D Shapes: Have your little one use the 2D shape fly swatters to swat the 2D shape flies! Includes 9 shapes: circle, diamond, pentagon, square, trapezoid, hexagon, triangle, rectangle, & crescent.
4. Ladybug Subitizing: Practice math skills while making a cute craft! Your little one will roll a die & color in the same amount of dots on the ladybug. When they’re done, they can cut it out and glue it onto another piece of paper to create a ladybug craft!
5. Race to Metamorphosis: Your little one will roll the cube, identify the caterpillar based on the number of legs it has, then color in the correct box on their graph. See which caterpillar will change into a butterfly first!
6. Butterfly Counting Puzzles: Count the dots on the butterfly’s wings and match the card to the correct number. The even numbers are purple and the odd numbers are green so you can also use this activity to introduce even & odd numbers. Includes numbers 0-11.
7. Honeycomb Number Bonds: Your little one will choose a card that shows how to make 10. Then they’ll create that number bond on the honeycomb. They can use a different manipulative for each honeycomb to visually show part + part = whole.
8. Ladybugs on a Leaf: Your little one will match the ladybug number with the leaf that shows that number of ladybugs. Then they’ll add their own “ladybugs” to the leaf mat. Reviews numbers 0-10.
4 HANDS-ON ACTIVITY IDEAS (no printables, just directions):
1. Ladybug Snack & Craft: Have a ladybug-themed day with these fun ideas!
2. Bugs & Insects Sensory Bin: An easy sensory bin to throw together that will keep your little one engaged for hours.
3. Butterfly Snack & Craft: If your little one loves butterflies, they will love these fun ideas!
4. Foamy Soap Sensory Play: Learn how to make foamy soap for a unique sensory-play experience.
Please see the pictures in the preview above before purchasing!
Looking for MORE Thematic Activity Packs? I’ve got you covered!
- All About Me
- Community Helpers
- Way Out in Space
- Nocturnal Animals
- Fairy Tale Fun
- Under Construction
- A Day at the Zoo
- Things That Go
- Polar Habitats
- Nursery Rhymes
- Way Out West
- Dynamite Dinos
- What’s the Weather?
- Busy Bugs & Insects
- Extraordinary Earth
- Gardens That Grow
- Under the Sea
- Vets Love Pets
Or save time and money by choosing my Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs! You’ll save over 20%, which means you get 4 packs for FREE!
REMINDER: This product is a digital download. Nothing will be shipped. As this product is digital, all sales are final & no refunds will be issued. If you have any questions about this pack, feel free to contact me before purchasing: [email protected].
Erin | Littles Love Learning
- You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and already installed on most computers. Please make sure you have the capability to open this download before purchasing.
- To print, please save this download to your desktop, open with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then print. Do not print from your web browser.
- Make sure your Adobe Acrobat Reader is updated to the latest version.