POLAR HABITATS PRESCHOOL ACTIVITY PACK
This polar habitats activity pack is perfect for your preschool & pre-k littles. It’s filled with 16 literacy & math printables plus 4 hands-on project ideas for a total of 20 amazing activities!
Get the Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs and save over 20% (which means you get 4 packs for FREE!)
These activities, which can be used in your homeschool preschool or your early childhood classroom, are designed to help your little ones build beginning literacy & math skills that will prepare them for success in kindergarten and beyond!
All activities come in both full color and black/white options. I’ve also included directions for 3 levels of learners: Voyagers, Explorers, and Inventors. That way, you can find the best way to use these activities depending on your little one’s level.
8 LITERACY ACTIVITIES:
1. Polar Animals Vocabulary Words: Includes 15 polar animal word cards. Each word comes in 2 fonts: traceable font and solid font. Also includes 3 activity pages for students to write these words if you choose to do a “Write the Room” activity with them and 1 page of pictures for them to “Color the Room.”
2. Arctic Carnivores vs. Herbivores Animal Sort: Have your little one sort the animal cards & discuss the differences between carnivores and herbivores. Includes 9 animal cards, or you can use the animal vocabulary cards from the “Polar Animals Vocabulary Words.”
3. Polar Animal Color by Letter: There are 3 color by code pictures of polar animals (penguin, seal, polar bear). You can either print them with the color words in color (for younger preschoolers) or the color words in black (for older preschoolers working on reading color words). Practices both uppercase and lowercase letters.
4. Fishing for Syllables: Help Mr. Penguin catch a fish and count out the correct number of syllables on the picture card. Includes 20 syllable cards (1, 2, or 3 syllable words) and an answer key.
5. The Polar Path Alliteration: Includes two different polar paths. Your little one will come up with words that start with the same beginning sound as the pictures on the ice to help the mama polar animal get to her baby.
6. Which One Doesn’t Belong?: There are 10 strips of cards, and each card has 4 pictures. Have your little one determine which picture doesn’t belong because it doesn’t rhyme with the others. Then have them find the correct rhyming picture to add to the strip.
7. Polar Compound Words: Includes 9 compound word puzzles. Have your little one put the puzzles together to form a new compound word. Then have them find that word card and place it on top of the ice.
8. Polar Bears and Penguins Venn Diagram: This activity will help your little one show how polar bears and penguins are alike and how they’re different.
8 MATH ACTIVITIES:
1. Caribou Counting: Your little one will choose a number (1-10) and work on different ways to show that number: with fingers, with tally marks, with snowballs, and with a ten frame.
2. Arctic and Antarctic Animal Number Puzzles: Help your little one practice counting backwards from 10-1 by putting the animal puzzles in order. Includes 2 puzzles (10-6 and 5-1).
3. I Can Make 5 Polar Animals: Your little one will practice making the number 5 in different ways by adding seals and walruses together. Includes 10 cards.
4. Penguin Feelings Graph: Spin the spinner and graph the penguin feeling. If you don’t have a spinner, you can use a paper clip/pencil instead.
5. 2D Snowy Owl Clips: Includes 12 snowy owls in different 2D shapes: oval, diamond, heart, circle, rectangle, triangle, crescent moon, star, square, trapezoid, pentagon, and hexagon.
6. Penguin Subitizing: Help your little one quickly identify dots on a die by matching the penguin holding die to the correct penguin number. Includes numbers 1-12.
7. Seal Sliders: Slide the number strip on the ice and add the correct number of seals. Includes a number strip for numbers 1-10, 11-20, addition, and subtraction.
8. Count Mr. Penguin’s Fish: Choose a card and count Mr. Penguin’s fish. Then match the card to the number mat. Includes numbers 1-12.
4 HANDS-ON ACTIVITY IDEAS (no printables, just directions):
1. DIY Two Ingredient Fake Snow Sensory Bin: Such a fun (and easy) sensory bin that would be perfect for this unit.
2. Build with Marshmallows and Toothpicks: One of my students all-time favorite activities. Easy to set up but so much fun!
3. Snow Writing Tray: A multisensory way to practice writing…way more fun than paper & pencil!
4. Penguin Waddle: Your little ones will LOVE this gross motor game!
Please see the pictures in the preview above before purchasing!
Looking for MORE Thematic Activity Packs? I’ve got you covered!
- All About Me
- Community Helpers
- Way Out in Space
- Nocturnal Animals
- Fairy Tale Fun
- Under Construction
- A Day at the Zoo
- Things That Go
- Polar Habitats
- Nursery Rhymes
- Way Out West
- Dynamite Dinos
- What’s the Weather?
- Busy Bugs & Insects
- Extraordinary Earth
- Gardens That Grow
- Under the Sea
- Vets Love Pets
Erin | Littles Love Learning
- You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and already installed on most computers. Please make sure you have the capability to open this download before purchasing.
- To print, please save this download to your desktop, open with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then print. Do not print from your web browser.
- Make sure your Adobe Acrobat Reader is updated to the latest version.