COMMUNITY HELPERS PRESCHOOL ACTIVITY PACK
This Community Helpers activity pack is perfect for your preschool & pre-k littles! It’s filled with 16 literacy & math printables plus 4 hands-on project ideas for a total of 20 amazing activities!
These activities, which can be used in your homeschool preschool or your early childhood classroom, are designed to help your little ones build beginning literacy & math skills that will prepare them for success in kindergarten and beyond!
Get the Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs and save over 20% (which means you get 4 packs for FREE!)
All activities come in both full color and black/white options. I’ve also included directions for 3 levels of learners: Voyagers, Explorers, and Inventors. That way, you can find the best way to use these activities depending on your little one’s level.
8 LITERACY ACTIVITIES:
1. Community Helpers Vocabulary Words: Includes 15 word cards. Each word comes in 2 fonts: traceable font and solid font. Also includes 3 activity pages for students to write these words if you choose to do a “Write the Room” activity with them and 1 page of pictures for them to “Color the Room.”
2. Kid Community Helpers: Dot Letters: Help your little one learn their letter names and sounds with these dot letters. There’s one card for each lowercase letter. You can have your little one fill in the circles with dot markers, markers, q-tips & paint, etc.
3. Compound Word Experiments: This activity is great to build phonological awareness and syllable blending. Your little one will choose a compound word card (such as “rainbow”) and then find the two words that make up “rainbow” (“rain” + “bow”). Includes 10 compound words.
4. Police Officer Onset-Rime: This activity is designed to help beginning readers build fluency with decoding CVC words. Your little one will spin the onset (beginning consonant sound) and then spin the rime (vowel and everything after the vowel) to create CVC words. Then they can blend the sounds together to read. Onsets include /d/, /p/, /f/, /n/, & /j/. Rimes include -ab, -ut, -en, -og, & -ip.
5. Outer Space Syllables: This fun activity helps your little one practice segmenting words into syllables. They’ll move the picture strip to show one picture (ex: “race cars”) and then move the number strip to show how many syllables are in that word (ex: 2). This activity includes 5 picture strips (25 total pictures) with words ranging from 1-5 syllables.
6. Community Helpers Tracing: Get those little hands ready for writing by tracing different types of lines! Your little one will trace the line to help the community helper get to the building/object that they need to do their job. Includes 10 different types of lines.
7. Calling All Firefighters: Rhymes: This board game is SO much fun and practices so many skills. Your little one will choose a card and name the picture. Then they’ll determine which word from the KEY rhymes with that card. (Ex: They choose “led” which rhymes with “red.”) Then they’ll place their game piece on the first “red” picture square. They’ll repeat and move their way across the board to help the firefighter get to the burning house. Includes 24 picture cards. Words on the KEY: cab, red, cob, sub, kit, & pot.
8. Judge the Vowels: This is a great activity to work on short vowels. Your little one will roll the cube, name the short vowel sound, and find the picture card that has that same vowel sound in the middle of the word. You could also have your little one practice phonemic awareness by choosing the card for them, saying the word broken up by phonemes (ex: /d/ /a/ /b/), and having them tell you the word (ex: “dab”). You’ll use the same 24 picture cards as you did in the “Calling All Firefighters” rhyming game.
8 MATH ACTIVITIES:
1. Bake a Shape: This game is all about identifying 2D shapes in a fun way! Your little one will put the shape hat on the baker and then find the matching shape cookie to put on the tray. Includes 12 shapes: circle, crescent, heart, rectangle, square, oval, triangle, star, trapezoid, pentagon, parallelogram, & rhombus.
2. Fix the Road: Your little one will work on identifying tally marks and counting with this activity. They’ll slide the slider to reveal a tally made from screwdrivers. Then they’ll slide the number that matches. Includes numbers 1-10.
3. Roll a Dentist Visit: Your little one will roll a die, identify the number, and find the matching picture in the KEY. Then they’ll add that picture to their dentist office mat. You can also turn this into a game by giving each player a mat, and the person who gets all 6 pictures first is the winner. Works on subitizing numbers 1-6.
4. Library Patterns: Your little one will duplicate, extend, and find missing patterns on different book pattern strips. Includes 5 pattern strips that review patterns AB, AAB, ABB, & ABC. Also includes a cube with different pattern types for your little one to roll & create their own patterns.
5. How Many Bandages?: Your little one will put the puzzles together by matching the doctor to the correct number of bandages. Then they can count out the same number of real bandages on their mat. This game covers numbers 0-10 and works on one-to-one correspondence.
6. Time to Deliver the Mail: Your little one will work on ten frames with this activity. They will choose a mailbox, count the envelopes, and write that number on the mat. Then they will count out manipulatives on their big mailbox. This is a great way to work on number sense and number fluency from 0-10.
7. I Can Make 5 and 10: Your little one will practice beginning addition by working on part + part = whole. They’ll choose a card, count the existing paint cans, and figure out how many more they need to make 5 or 10. Includes 6 cards for making 5 and 6 cards for making 10 plus LOTS of colorful paint can pictures!
8. Sort the Numbers: This activity gives your little one a chance to practice their higher-level thinking skills. They’ll choose a card and determine if it’s less than 5 or more than 5 (they can use the number line to help). Then they’ll place the card on the correct side of the mat. Includes different cards to show numbers 0-10: numerals, fingers, ten frames, & dice.
4 HANDS-ON ACTIVITY IDEAS (no printables, just directions):
1. Prepare for an Emergency: This editable activity is not just for fun…it’s an important safety precaution! You can type their information right onto the PDF, print, and practice over & over.
2. Egg Experiment for Dental Health: This experiment will visually show your little one why brushing their teeth is SO important!
3. X-Ray Handprint: This is a classic preschool activity that’s always a hit!
4. Make a Mailbox: Your little one will love making their own mailbox and looking in it each day to see if they have mail!
Please see the pictures in the preview above before purchasing!
You can also see a video of these games in action HERE.
Looking for MORE Thematic Activity Packs? I’ve got you covered!
- All About Me
- Community Helpers
- Way Out in Space
- Nocturnal Animals
- Fairy Tale Fun
- Under Construction
- A Day at the Zoo
- Things That Go
- Polar Habitats
- Nursery Rhymes
- Way Out West
- Dynamite Dinos
- What’s the Weather?
- Busy Bugs & Insects
- Extraordinary Earth
- Gardens That Grow
- Under the Sea
- Vets Love Pets
Or save time and money by choosing my Themes Activity BUNDLE with ALL of my thematic packs! You’ll save over 20%, which means you get 4 packs for FREE!
REMINDER: This product is a digital download. Nothing will be shipped. As this product is digital, all sales are final & no refunds will be issued. If you have any questions about this pack, feel free to contact me before purchasing: [email protected].
Erin | Littles Love Learning
- You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and already installed on most computers. Please make sure you have the capability to open this download before purchasing.
- To print, please save this download to your desktop, open with Adobe Acrobat Reader, and then print. Do not print from your web browser.
- Make sure your Adobe Acrobat Reader is updated to the latest version.