Keep reading for some fun Pete the Cat activities for preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten. These activities are sure to be a hit with your little one!
We are a participant in the amazon services llc associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post contains affiliate links. Click HERE to read our full disclosure.
MAY STORY OF THE MONTH
Our May Story of the Month is Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin and James Dean. I have yet to meet a kid who doesn’t love Pete! He’s the coolest kitty around, and his books always have the best messages.
In this story, Pete is walking along in his new white shoes, when suddenly, he steps in a big pile of strawberries! Yikes! His shoes turn red, but Pete doesn’t cry…he just keeps walking along and singing his song. This happens a few times, but Pete never gets upset…because he knows it’s all good!
If you’re looking for a book about being flexible, rolling with the punches, or just enjoying life, this is the book for you!
After reading the story, check out these fun Pete the Cat activities, which include Yogurt Popsicles, a Shape Cat, and a FREE Beginning Sounds Activity.
Adding these activities to your May plans, either at home or in the classroom, will bring learning to life for your little one!
YOGURT POPSICLES & PUDDING
In this story, Pete’s wearing white shoes before he steps in strawberries, blueberries, and mud. So we thought it would be perfect to have a snack that incorporates ALL of those colors!
- Put the small cups inside the muffin tin.
- Fill each paper cup with a little bit of yogurt. Then add cut up strawberries and blueberries. Fill with more yogurt on top. (Our cups were about 1/4 to 1/2 full.)
- Add a popsicle stick to each cup.
- Freeze for a few hours or overnight.
- Cut the paper cups off to reveal your yogurt popsicles.
- Dip your yogurt into chocolate pudding. Talk about how the yogurt is like Pete’s white shoes, the chocolate pudding is like the mud, and the strawberries & blueberries are like the strawberries & blueberries in the story.
- Enjoy your snack!
Your little one will love using triangles, squares, rectangles, and circles to make their very own Shape Cat who looks like Pete! They can also add colored shoes and brainstorm what their cat stepped in to make the shoes that color.
- Pete Loves His Shoes Mat (click here for FREE download)
- Construction Paper
- Colored Pencils
- Review shapes with your little one. Tell them they are going to create their very own Pete the Cat out of only rectangles, squares, triangles, and circles.
- Using the example in the picture above, have your little one create Pete. They can draw the shapes and then cut them out/glue them on the mat.
- Once Pete is glued down, have your little one decide what color shoes Pete is wearing and why they are that color. (In my example, Pete is wearing yellow shoes because he stepped in pineapple.) Add those shoes to Pete’s feet.
- Fill in the blanks on the mat and hang up the artwork around your house!
FREE BEGINNING SOUNDS ACTIVITY
The alphabetic principle is being able to hear the sounds in a word and then match those sounds to a letter or letters. Your child needs this skill before they can begin reading, and this FREE beginning sounds activity is the perfect way to practice!
Your child will see what object the cat is holding, name the beginning sound, and match it to the correct letter. *Hint: I colored-coordinated the cat’s shoes to the letters as a helpful hint for the youngest learners.
This activity (along with all of our freebies!) can be downloaded from the Free Activity Library. If you’re already a member of our email community, you can click HERE to head to the Free Activity Library, enter your password (it’s on your most current email from me), and download your copy!
If you’d like to join our email community & receive the password as my way of saying THANK YOU for joining, you can click HERE to subscribe. Once you enter your information, the password will be emailed to you within minutes.
Do you love Pete the Cat? Do you have any fun Pete the Cat activities for preschool or kindergarten that I should add to our list? Let me know! You can comment below or find me on Instagram [@littleslovelearningblog] to share!